It was my great honor last night to talk fiction with the wonderful Sherry Welton Wilds as she debuts her new show The Method and the Muse. What a great (and short!) session, and I hope those who listen get value for their time.
If I remember correctly, and this would be a new development, here’s some elaboration and errata:
– Sherry mentioned “First Rodeo,” published not so long ago at Kings River Life. I get more into the story and character here.
– My bit about setting up a story as akin to dealing the cards was paraphrased from an Ann Patchett talk. The image nails how to open directly or through foreshadowing when storytelling.
– I was asked about Poe’s Unity of Effect. It’s a thing, y’all.
– And remember, short stories get read in one sitting. They are Ending Delivery Systems, with the various elements building to deliver the Resonant Moment.
– Yes, I am all about Dashiell Hammett’s The Maltese Falcon.