Writing the Short Story
August 21, 2022
Bob goes over the craft secrets behind short fiction. How to structure a great story–or to go freeform, how to open strong, and how to drive toward a resonant finish. Most importantly, when to know when a story might be ready for top markets.
Co-presented with the terrific Jaden Terrell.
- Sisters in Crime East Tennessee, February 2022
- Killer Nashville, August 2021
- Sisters in Crime Middle Tennessee, February 2020
- Sisters in Crime Atlanta, October 2016 (co-instructor)
- Clarksville Writers Conference, August 2021: “Old As Campfires”
- Clarksville Writers Conference, August 2021: “You’re Not Done Yet”
Form and Format
I’ve been giving presentations both large and small for years. My approach is to get in there with practical applications of the usual theory. And to share my mistakes, because I’ve made a few.
Check Out My Work
I write it.
A good bit of it gets published.
I talk and write about it.
Here and other places.
I blog about it.
Monthly tips and tall tales.